When & What Is My Child’s First “Regular” Visit?
The first “regular” dental visit should be no later than your child’s first birthday. We will gently examine your child’s teeth and gums. X-rays may be taken to reveal decay and check on the progress of your child’s permanent teeth under the gums. We may clean your child’s teeth and apply topical fluoride to help protect the teeth against decay. We will make sure your child is receiving adequate fluoride at home. Most important of all, we will review with you how to clean and care for your child’s teeth.
Before The Visit
- Please discuss with your child, in a positive way that Dr. Cuervo will be brushing and counting the teeth.
- Tell your child that Dr. Cuervo will be placing some “yummy vitamins” (fluoride) in the mouth.
- Explain that Dr. Cuervo may take special pictures (x-rays) if necessary.
- Expect your child to behave well and to enjoy their first visit to the dentist and that is what will happen if preparation takes place.
During the Visit
- Dr. Cuervo will perform a detailed oral exam and will discuss dental and oral development, nutrition and the benefits of sealants and fluorides.
- Dr. Cuervo will answer any questions or concerns and will develop a comprehensive treatment plan for your child’s dental health.
After the Visit
- Talk with your child about the first visit in a positive way, thereby promoting trust and confidence that will last a life time.